Monday, April 25, 2005

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence;
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

- Robert Frost, 1874-1963

There's an analysis here. While I was searching for this poem, I also came across a PDF presentation of the same name by Richard P Gabriel, Distinguished Engineer from Sun Microsystems, Inc. It's about the nature of future software and makes interesting reading.

You might also want to visit his website, Dreamsongs.

5 comments:

The Real Kahuna said...

"Kahuna" seems to be on weed...

Big Kahuna said...

Bah! And you sir, are on chocolate Danish!

The Real Kahuna said...

Note that "He" didn't deny "He" was on weed... :-P

Big Kahuna said...

Nor you, that you ingest hallucinogenic quantities of chocolate daily. Not to mention after-hours snacking at the Club!

eshan said...

You know it happened to me once. There was this roasted chicken or curried goat one day at the cafetaria. Everyone was having the curried goat. So I chose the roasted chicken. Everyone who ate the goat had diarrhea and I didn't. I chose the food less eaten and it made all the difference.